A Winter Space

Posted by on Jan 10, 2011 in Photos | 7 Comments

Another winter landscape photograph in black and white. Years ago I always thought what a crazy idea to make landscape images in b&w. You can’t see deep green colors or beauty of red colored leaves in autumn. That is still the truth, but I seems to enjoy it for other kind of purpose. Feelings! I still believe that black and white can trigger our emotions far better because it leaves a room for our imaginations. Same like our mind does in our dreams, not all is there so we free to create as much as we like.

A Winter Space

7 Comments

1. JPH
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

Another nice one.

No, here, beautiful black and white is showcasing what it’s great for.

2. Dirk
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

These are “nice”, but in both images I find the black sky a bit synthetic. Perhaps you are trying a little too hard?

3. richo
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

Dirk, depends what you are after. Deep blue sky in cold bright winter is what I wanted.

4. JPH
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

I partially agree with Dirk about the sky, though only in this one, and would have cropped maybe the top inch of the image off to remove the bulk of that black void… I was going to say that in my initial post, but felt another “nice one, but here is what I would do…” comment.

That sounds like a good topic for one of my first journal entries on the new site o’ mine – I for one, would certainly want honest feedback and thoughts on work I posted, and would be interested in suggestions might have, etc.,

Like if the tables were turned here, and it was someone telling me, yet again – gee, I do like what you were going after, but here is what I would have done instead… after awhile of such replies from someone, I would probably start muttering under my breath, “well you know what? It’s not your photo is it? I don’t recall really asking what YOU would do… it’s MY photo, not yours! I’m presenting what it is that may appeal and work for ME, not YOU!” But then, would still be cordial and thank the commenter on their input :-)

I just don’t want to be ‘that guy’ to someone else.

5. richo
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

Jeff, I have no problem with these kind of comment, at least most of the time and from people I know. In this particular image it was my choice to do it that way and of course you or anybody else can have their own view and would make a different choice. Same like more people takingpicture at the same place and same time. Each picture is different mostly by the choice of the author. And I find that very good that it is so.

There is another thing whihc bothers me on these pictures. They are too nice, but onother hand once a while thatis also good ;-)

6. Dirk
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

I suppose that’s also the difficulty with feedback. May I ask why you are asking for it and what do you expect?

Because either people say it looks good and that makes you happy; or they point out things that could be better/different and you say, as JPH jokingly says “well you know what? It’s not your photo is it?”. Or it is not what you’re after, as in “I wanted it that way”. But we don’t know what you’re after, it could be a zillion things. Either you explain what you’re after, and not just “I wanted to test some new software” kind of stuff, nor “I wanted to see what I can do with these winter landscapes”, but a real creative goal – OR, and that is how any strong photo should work, it should be able to to stand on its own and communicates to viewers what you were after and why the image was made, in a creative sense. This is not the case with these, so it is open why they are here and why feedback is needed.

7. richo
    Mon, 10. January , 2011

To answer your question Dirk, I am mostly interested what people feel when they look at image, how it works with them and, if anything is triggered in them.