Olga in London

Posted by on Jul 20, 2010 in Photos | 8 Comments

I know, I am too late. Here are, at least few shots I had take in London’s strobist workshop with David Tejada last  Wednesday. There is more to come and I also like to write and maybe even tell you about the workshop itself. Following top three photographs, were taken with simple one main light ( through 60″ umbrella) and one back light, using different white points (therefore the little different skin tones). The last one is light bounced from the side wall and another strobe is used for creating the pattern on the wall.

Olga in London

Olga in London

Olga in London

Olga in London

8 Comments

1. Jacco de Kraker
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

Too late? Why do you think you’re too late? There’s no pressure, is there? Take it easy…

I see many changes in your work over the past months. It took me some time to get used to, but I think I’m beginning to “see” it.

Of these four, I like the 2nd and 3rd the best.

2. richo
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

Well late because is almost a week I was there and my plan was put something right a way.

You know in last few month I do most of the shooting with strobes and frankly most of the time (or better say all the time) is learning experience. Finally after some time I will be able create what I planned long time ago.

Interesting that you like 2 & 3 the most I like 1 & 4 ;-)

3. Jacco de Kraker
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

I guess your sudden love for strobes ;) is made possible by your switch to digital. Strobes are “mysterious”, I have a feeling I will not know what the exact result of any setup will be, and with analog, it would be a bit disappointing to find out, the day after a shoot, that the results are not what you had in mind. With digital, it’s a lot easier at least to correct things right there and then.

Well, I like the lighting (no, not lightning) and the shadows in 4, but I feel there’s something not entirely right about how the dress is draped. It’s just a detail, but details matter.

4. richo
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

Yes Jacco it certainly is easier with digital and you even do not need light meter!

And about the image number 4, yes you right, but in the workshop point was not to makeup the girl or even told her much what to do, point was to experience and learn the lighting and exposure. In this image the exercise was to gt those shadows on the wall, it was bloody raining outside ;-)

5. JPH
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

3 & 4 are my favorites. Three, because the flash lighting is less noticeable, and the lighting looks more natural, the look I will strive for when I convert to shooting more strobe photography than continuous lighting of which I have done in the past.

Four because of the composition, again the lighting being naturalistic, and the shot just has a nice subtle drama and story to it that I like… a bit too framed, but all right.

Tomorrow my brand new Nikon D700 arrives! And thus will begin my fully digital transition and learning experience! Is it tomorrow yet?! :-)

6. richo
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

Jeff, thanks for your observations! So tomorrow! Great I am looking forward to hear how you doing with it and to see your new images!

7. Dirk
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

Sorry to say, but I find none of these particularly attractive or original, lighting or otherwise. Perhaps they are just practice photos and I hope you learned something. Sorry to sound negative here, but since the pics are on the site I suppose we should give our honest opinion. The other things you did in black and white before I liked a lot better.

8. richo
    Tue, 20. July , 2010

:-) Hones Dirk. Yes you are right those are only test shots and nothing spectacular. Also if you consider that for whole day I had about 10minute shooting for myself, it was very difficult to produce the shot.

Later today I will post new podcast episode where I talk more about the workshop